Headquartered in New Glasgow, NS, Crombie has been recognized as one of Atlantic Canada’s Top Employers year after year. Here are a few more reasons why we all love where we work:
- Flexible, hybrid work schedules and locations;
- Funding assistance for professional dues and furthering education;
- An on-site fitness facility, or subsidized fitness centre memberships;
- Corporate discount rates;
- Professional development programs to help you grow and succeed; and
- A strong, diverse culture that promotes thought leadership and interdepartmental collaboration.
Who We Are
We are one of Canada’s leading REITs, but more importantly, we’re community minded and committed to helping build the future of sustainable real estate. We hire people who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who share our values. Being supported in your professional development, having your contributions and unique talents valued, feeling a sense of challenge and purpose, and being surrounded by a highly engaged team that loves what they do, are just a few of the reasons to join our growing team.
Based out of Halifax or New Glasgow and reporting to the Vice President, Design & Construction, Eastern Canada, this role leads pre-construction and construction projects in Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec. Including residential, retail, and retail-related industrial developments, as well as retail and office leasehold work for new or existing tenants, while overseeing a regional team of employees. Additional duties of the Senior Director, Design & Construction include but are not limited to;
- Partnering with senior leadership to help develop strategic, long-term plans for the organization and supporting the implementation of the strategy as it relates to construction.
- Working with joint venture partners on development projects to support pre-construction and construction execution as needed.
- Leading the pre-construction and construction work required for internally-executed development and leasehold projects.
- Supporting the Development, Leasing, and Operations teams to provide design and construction feedback needed to advance new projects and deals.
- Managing and directing a team of pre-construction and construction personnel.
- Building and developing a highly effective team to support future talent needs within the organization.
- Ensuring the timely preparation and distribution of construction status reporting requirements, providing updates to the relevant stakeholders as required.
- Preparing and reviewing project cost and expenditure statements, and forecasts at regular intervals.
- Preparing project schedules as required to determine project duration and monitor construction status.
- Managing and reviewing internal and external project estimates and concept designs to support deal execution/project approvals.
- Managing design teams during the pre-construction phase.
- Leading the communication of information during the pre-construction and construction phases of a project between Design and Construction team members, internal departments, and various external stakeholders.
- Assisting with the review of consultant drawings to ensure errors and/or omissions are addressed prior to construction commencement.
- Preparing and managing tendering/RFPs and contract negotiations for new projects.
- Completing and/or ensuring consistent and regular onsite inspections to ensure all projects and contractors meet federal, provincial, and municipal codes, and health and safety standards.
- Leading and collaborating between departments to ensure alignment on regional and national initiatives.
- Ensuring excellent tenant relations by providing excellent management service through knowledge, practice, and exceptional customer service.
- Monitoring, delegating and evaluating workload and projects against department capabilities.
- Other special projects as assigned.
The Profile We Are Looking For
The ideal candidate has a minimum of seven to ten years of experience in a similar role, with a strong background in retail and office projects, mixed-use retail/residential, and industrial warehousing developments. Candidates must demonstrate a strong knowledge of design management, major general contracting, and/or construction project management in addition to a PEng and/or PMP Certification. The successful candidate must be able to manage concurrent projects and meet fast-paced deadlines, in addition to being a self-starter who can develop and build relationships internally and externally, as well as maintain confidential information.
All candidates must demonstrate professionalism and superior communication skills both verbally and written, and an interest and commitment to Environmental, Social, and (Corporate) Governance responsibilities is a must.
Crombie’s commitment to workforce diversity is about creating an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging for everyone and encourages applicants to self-identify. We strive to foster a sense of belonging, trust, inclusion, and respect. We welcome applications from people with disabilities, and accommodations are available upon request during the recruitment and selection process, including, but not limited to, an accessible interview location, alternate documents, or an ASL Interpreter. If you require accommodation during the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a Cover Letter and Resume
Subject: Senior Director, Design & Construction
Crombie REIT thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.